Tengai is an interview robot and recruitment tool that creates a more fair and exciting experience for you as a candidate. The social AI-robot doesn’t care about age, looks, gender or ethnicity. Neither will she judge you by tone of voice or dialect. In addition, the HR-tech tool gives a virtual feeling of real human interaction. Job-seekers state that it makes them engage emotionally and socially and some also states that they could give more honest answers to the robot than a human interviewer.
What is it like to be interviewed by Tengai?
During a job interview, Tengai asks all candidates the same questions in the exact same way and order. This makes the interview experience fair for all job seekers. During the 20 minute interview, Tengai constantly gives ‘human’ feedback. That includes nodding, smiling, leaning her head or saying “mhm”. The purpose is to encourage the candidate to give elaborate answers. And if the answer is too vague, Tengai might ask the candidate to give more concrete examples.
See what some of the candidates at Upplands Bro Municipality had to say after their first experience with Tengai.
“In time for my interview, I felt very safe and secure thanks to all the information prior to the interview. The interview itself was very different with a robot, but the experience felt very safe. “
What is an interview with Tengai like?
Tengai’s mission is to make interviews fair for all job-seekers. As an interviewee you’ll be given the opportunity to tell Tengai more about yourself and your personality traits. The traits that Tengai will ask you questions about is evaluated from a framework based on behavioral science and personality studies. The purpose is to highlight your personality traits early in the process to be able to make the best possible and objective evaluation without being affected by age, gender, looks or race. Tengai will ask the same questions, in the same order, to you and all other applicants. That makes the process equal and fair for all to mitigate unconscious bias in the process.
To attend an interview and to answer questions about yourself is hard for most people. Even if you are well prepared it’s very unlikely that you’ll get to prepare for specific questions that the interviewer might ask you. Since an interview with Tengai is new to most people, we believe it’s important that you get the opportunity to prepare and that you feel well informed before the interview with Tengai. We can guarantee the same experience as everyone else and you’ll get the equal opportunity to tell us about yourself and your personal qualities.
The interview consists of 20 main questions with follow-up questions. These are divided into statements and past behavior questions.
- During the interview, Tengai is placed on top of a table directly across from the candidate she interviews.
- In the welcome introduction, Tengai briefly talks about the job at hand and the interview process. The purpose is to clarify what competencies the employer is looking for, so the candidate can focus on sharing desired qualities and experiences.
- Tengai then – in a dialogue format – starts the interview.
- During the interview, Tengai asks a series of statements to find out more about the candidates’ personality
- Tengai listens carefully to the candidates’ answer and interprets the answers as the interview progress.
Past Behavior Questions
- During the interview, Tengai also asks a series of Past Behaviour Questions. These questions is to find out more about the candidates behaviour.
- The Past Behaviour Questions consists of a set of several questions, asking the candidate to describe certain situations where they could demonstrate their skills.
- The candidate is also being asked to reflect on the result of the different situations.
What does the previous interviewees think of Tengai?
Based on 900 robot interviews and anonymously surveyed candidates:
said they could give a better/ more honest answer to the robot than to a human recruiter
stated they would like to be interviewed by a robot again
thought the interview was serious